Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Hebrew Cursive Handwriting

I have been frustrated by the standard Hebrew "cursive" handwriting.  Here's an example I found on the web:




So, I realize it's not my place at all to redesign an alphabet in long-standing use, especially since I'm not Jewish.  But, I can't write in it without feeling like it has nonsensical elements to it.  So, I came up with my own, which brings it just a little closer to the Hebrew square alphabet in some ways...  It doesn't change every letter, just a few.  I apologize that my letters aren't wrapped on the same lines as theirs, and that I don't show the dagesh or rafe forms of variants:


6 comments:

Bruno said...

The Alef looks like an Alfa(greek)!

Bruno said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bruno said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bruno said...

The Alef looks like an Alfa(greek)!

Eriol said...

I really like some of your experimental variations ^_^ For example: your two "m"s, the regular and final: one sees that they are actually related, unlike the standard cursive versions. Also, for the same reason, I like the regular and final forms for "p" and "ts(ade)". Just like in the printed form, the final is just an extension of one of the lines, as one sees in your version. Actually, it would've been great to see an experimentation of the final "p" extending below the line, like the final "ts", and conform more to the printed form … Your alef there: Is that the ancient ox head? 😂

Jeff said...

It is the ox head. Good eye. :-)